Last weekend I spent my the entire saturday shooting a video for the local metal band Sins in vain. They were recording a cover song and wanted the process to be documented so at the beginning of 2018 I’ll hopefully be done with the editing. I also snapped some photos of the band and here are some portraits I took towards the end of the day. It was a simple setup against a noticeboard with a quick Rembrandtlighting using a 800w redhead.
This interview was made for the municipality of Helsingborg and their streetart festival “ArtstreetHBG”.
Jimmy Skize is a graffiti-veteran who fell in love with graffiti in when the documentary Style Wars came out. He’s been involved in the art form ever since. This means he was painting when I still walked around in nappies. The interview is in Swedish and sadly I never got around to subtitle it. I’ve got four more interviews like this coming up and three of them will be in English.
So how did I set this up?
- Canon 700D
- Canon compact video camera
- Redhead 800W Cinelight
- RØDE videomic pro
- Vintage construction-light
- DIY cameraslider
I had one camera on each side of my subject; one close up and one a bit further away. I positioned myself in the middle of these to make sure the subject wasn’t looking into any of the cameras. I used the construction-light behind my subject to separate him from the background a bit, and then I went for a Rembrandt-lighting with my 800w (45 degree angles from the subject X, Y, Z until the little triangle appears under the eye of the shaded half of the face).
I kept the interview kind of loose, like a conversation, but where I mainly nodded and smiled a lot instead of answering (since I cut my part of the chat out completely). I knew I was going to do these interviews, so during the festival I made sure I had some footage of each artist to edit into the interview. Also, I usually try to cut between cameras when I edit as my subject blinks. The closer camera is good to use for a bit of impact when it gets a bit more emotional or personal.
Since there would be a difference in picture quality using two different cameras, I planned to make the footage of the lesser camera black and white and add a vintage feel to it. That’s why I brought my old Super-8 camera to the studio and created a little intro for these interviews. It motivates the black and white, cropped, vintage footage a bit more. I used my slider and stabilized the footage with Premieres Warp Stabilizer and quite easily masked the lens where the text appears.
The Super-8 camera (a RICOH SUPER-8) was never used for anything else than looking fly in the intro and to justify the look of the Canon compact videocamera.
Finally I took some portraits with my DSLR before letting my subject go since I had everything set up. These photos where later used as cover images for the videos, and for the bio-page of each artist.
Each interview went on for 25 minutes and was edited down to about 4 minutes. The intro was used in every interview and all I had to do was to change the name in the end for each artist.
Coming up during next week are: Ilse Weisfelt, Tim Timmey, Levi Jacobs and Spidertag.
At the moment, me and fellow classmate Amanda Nilsson are working on finalizing our first animated short. We’re working in Adobe Animate (Flash) and are pretty much done. Our first film will clock in at just under a minute a features a drunk, miserable rabbit-like creature named “Dutzie“.
We’re both huge film nerds and want to make sure every detail is just right, so of course we needed a bumper for our made up film company ‘Bad Apple Films’. We didn’t really want a flashy logo for this one so we decided on shooting something in the studio.
Here’s what we did:
- Boiled an apple for about 2 hours.
- Set up a hard light on a phototable.
- Put a mark on the table where we wanted the apple to hit (later masked out).
- Set the focus on the apple on the mark on the table.
- Filmed the impact of the apple as we dropped it from a ladder.
- Focus shift.
- Imported our footage into Premiere and put the text in (font: Keep Calm)
- Added camera blur to the text and keyframed to match the real focus shift.
- Added grain, filmscans and some sound effects.
- Job done.
It’s tempting to just put a clean bumper / logo together digitally, but I highly recommend getting some unique footage because it’s way more fun. And you’ll end up with something different. And different is good. There’s a million things you can do, no matter what theme you’re going for. Blow stuff up, make a time-lapse or paint some bananas – only rule is; don’t be boring.