The Neural Networks Project – A documentation of binaural soundcapture & immersive theatre.

Audio, DIY-builds and hacks, Film, Projectionmapping

I’m currently taking a six month long course at Malmö Univerity called Experimental Mediaproduction. A week ago me and my group performed the outcome of two weeks hard work. This documentary about the project explains it way better than I do, and I’m sure watching beats reading in this case. I must add that this probably is my favourite project I’ve been involved in since starting my studies in Malmö. If you make it to the end – let me know!

The Tony Rissla cover.

Illustration, Photoshop

Sometimes fun jobs appear by chance. This was a very spontaneous quicke for Tony Rissla which landed on my lap via Facebook. He sent over a sketch of his vision (sometimes the simple sketches are the clearest) and I fell for the idea.

b1

“Two dudes with hoodies, nothing but black inside. One is holding a joint, the other a can of beer. And then a big crying moon in the background. In a park. Keep it depressing.” – Tony Rissla

I’ve been quite busy animating for a while so I really enjoyed pulling out the inkbottles and fountainpen. I decided to do colouring in Photoshop to have full control over the tones (I knew Tony wanted the cover in colour, but I thought I’ll give him the chance to change his mind). After scanning the illustration I used high resolution watercolour images and blended / masked them out in the right places.

b2

We decided to do the titles by hand so I drew up a set of styles and scanned them as well. This was a really quick job all in all but I really enjoyed it since it gave me a break from the screens. It’s so nice to just play around with ink, especially when it ammounts to something people enjoy and make use of. Tony decided to go with the fully coloured version while I’m more a fan of the one with moon and bench in colour.

Which one do you prefer?

Cover_prick

Curious about the music? Check out Tony Rissla on Spotify and Soundcloud.

Mixing 60fps with 24fps? (Or; how the Tuscan tragic came to life).

DIY-builds and hacks, Film

A while back I shot a video for Magdalena Wolk’s song “Tuscan tragic”. We wanted to do something quick and simple, so adding some sort of flair to the visuals was essential. Shooting a quick video is a great way to give a song you want to put out that extra push. Here’s how we did it.

We had access to a photostudio with a white backdrop so being able to control the lights was a big plus. I also have an old VGA-projector laying around so we decided to project pre-shot footage onto Magdalena and the white background, while she was performing. Doing this instead of adding footage with a blending mode/opacity change gives you more interesting footage since the projector emits a ray of light, hitting the moving subject in various angles, adding lights and darks. And life.

Magdalena had some great random footage from her travels, some of it shot with a cameraphone. For our project, this worked great since we knew we wanted a natural and heavily mishandled look. Both me and Magdalena are huge fans of vintage footage, so coming up with the different aspects of this video wasn’t really that hard. We mixed Magdalena’s footage with my ink in water footage and edited it together with the full audiotrack as a base.

We did add one more effect to this video, found in the chorus. Magdalena moves in slow motion, but her lips are in sync with the words. How? Performing at double speed while shooting at 60 fps. We shoot the chorus separately, with Magdalena performing to a audiotrack running at double speed. When you bring your footage into your editor (Premiere Pro in my case), all you have to do is change the speed/duration of the clip down to 50% (half the speed of your track running at double speed – duh) – and you’re in sync with the original audio again.

Now – I did have some problems using clips shot at different framerates (the rest of the video is shot in standard 24fps) in the same sequence, so I had to edit together the chorus in a project of it’s own, and then export it at 24 fps. After this, it worked fine.

I did some research and found out that the optimal convertion would be to bring footage shot at 60 fps down to 40% when changing the speed of your clip, if your video is meant to be exported at 24 fps. This because 60 X 40 = 2400. I’m sure there’s lots of information about this elsewhere – but it might be worth testing if you’re planning to try out this effect. Of course, your audio will need to run at a matching speed when shooting.

The wind in the slowmotion footage comes from a leafblower I bought at a yardsale for about $20. The dust and scratches are real filmscans, (most of them come from this brilliant place called filmlooks) which I put on top of my footage using the screen and overlay blending modes in Premiere. Finally, I added a transparent .psd layer with Super16-borders to sell the look a bit more. We shot this video in about three hours. So I’m quite excited to see what we can pull of when we add some more time and planning next time. Make sure to check out Magdalena’s other stuff if you liked this video, since she’s easily found on Soundcloud, YouTube and Spotify.

Got questions about the process? You know where to put them. Full video below.

Free ink in water footage 1080/24fps.

DIY-builds and hacks, Film

Here’s some of the footage I wrote about in my previous ink in water post. I did some tweaking in Premiere Pro with the levels, and made a upside down version in black and white as well.

If you find any use for this type of stuff feel free to download it and use it however you see fit (there’s a download option if you watch the videos on Vimeo). Should work fine as top layers if you play around with the blending modes. In case you’re wondering what I’m on about here just watch this tutorial.

If you do happen to use this footage send me a link so I can check it out just for kicks.